facts about Sebastian Elementary School:
- Grade-levels served: Preschool – sixth grade
- Average enrollment: 500 students
- Facility description: The school is housed in a one-story, brick building that has seven classrooms, four instructional complexes, a swimming pool, a gymnasium, a cafeteria, a library, a computer lab, a technology lab, a reading room, and a rehearsal room for chorus and band.
- Meals: Breakfast, lunch, and an afternoon snack are served daily.
- Percentage of students eligible for the Federal Free and Reduced-Price Meal program: 100%
- Academic year: The school year in Kentucky typically begins the first week of August and ends the second week of May. National holidays are observed.
- Medical care: A full-time school nurse is available to serve students as the need arises.
Located in rural and mountainous eastern Kentucky, Breathitt County is one of the 100 poorest counties in the United States. The economic prospects of Breathitt County are, at best, bleak. The coal mining industry that once dominated this area and provided employment for the majority of its population has been declining. Today, there are few job opportunities for the area: three small factories, a community college, a grocery store, a department store, a small medical center, a juvenile detention center, and the county education system. Many families who once relied upon mining jobs for income now depend upon part-time employment at minimum wages and/or federal assistance such as welfare checks and food stamps. Tragically, drug and alcohol abuse are common, both stemming from and further contributing to these difficult socioeconomic circumstances. Children here, therefore, not only struggle with lack of basic needs, such as food, clothing, and school supplies; they are also often in dire need of encouragement and positive interaction with adults – positive role models who teach them how to maintain strong moral values and to be and have friends of good character and caliber.
For this reason, Sebastian Elementary School serves as a beacon of hope for the surrounding community. The school’s caring and dedicated staff is thrilled to partner with Children Incorporated sponsors to better equip students with the basic essentials, positive influence, and well-rounded education they need to break the cycle of poverty and rise above the difficult circumstances they face each day.
Facts about Breathitt County, Kentucky
- Population: 2,726
- Median household income: $25,861
- Percentage of persons living below the poverty line: 36.2%
- Unemployment rate: 8.5%