facts about james d. Adams middle school:
- Grades Served: Sixth – eighth
- Average Enrollment: 400 students
- School Facilities: A small building consisting of three wings –
one for each grade. Each wing has eight classrooms. Other areas include the administrative office area, cafeteria, library/media center, two computer labs, and an art and music room.
- Meals: Breakfast and lunch are served daily.
- Percentage of Students on the Federal Free or Reduced-Price Meal Program: 64%
- School Curriculum: The curriculum is based on the Kentucky Program of Studies and the Kentucky Core Content.
- Faculty: The school’s teaching staff consists of 23 classroom teachers.
- Special Education: Qualified teachers for each grade level collaborate with regular classroom teachers to provide services to special education students.
- Resources: The school offers the resources of a Youth Services Center, which provides support to families and students in overcoming economic barriers.
- Academic Schedule: The school year typically begins the first week of August and ends the second week of May. Normal holidays are observed.
Nestled in eastern Kentucky’s coal fields region, James D. Adams Middle School is located in Floyd County, in the rural town of Prestonsburg, Kentucky. One of the more populous counties in this part of Kentucky, Floyd County also bears the unfortunate distinction of having the state’s highest unemployment rate. Though situated on the beautiful Cumberland Plateau, where coal mining used to thrive and where rich coal veins still exist, Floyd County’s economy struggles with little industrial development and few employment opportunities.
For this reason, James D. Adams Middle School serves as a beacon of hope — a place of respite where warm, nutritional meals are always guaranteed, and where excellent teachers positively reinforce self-esteem building lessons. Though small and struggling with declining attendance rates and a decreasing budget, James D. Adams Middle School strives to provide the children of this rural community with an opportunity, through education, to rise above the difficult circumstances from which they come and break the cycle of poverty.
Facts about floyd county:
- Population: 38,108
- Median Household Income: $30,476
- Poverty Rate: 6%
- Unemployment Rate: 3%