Quick facts about Heritage Elementary School:
- Grades served: Preschool – fifth grade
- Average enrollment: 550 students
- Facility description: The school facility comprises a one-story brick building which is equipped with classrooms, a gym, cafeteria, playground, library, media center and computer lab.
- School curriculum: Based on the KY Program of Studies and the KY Core Content. To view the school’s state report card visit www.k12.ky.us. Special Education and Speech services are also provided by qualified faculty.
- Academic schedule: The academic year typically begins the first week of August and ends in mid-May. Normal holidays are observed.
- Meals: Breakfast and lunch are served daily.
- Percentage of students on the Federal Free or Reduced-Price Meal Program: 70%
The small town of Grayson is located in Carter County in northeastern Kentucky. In the 19th century, this area was famous for its iron furnaces and thriving clay products industry. Now a tourist attraction, Carter Caves was a major source of saltpeter during the War of 1812. Coal from this region once fueled factories, powered locomotives and heated millions of homes. Today, however, manufacturing only accounts for 15 percent of the county’s employment. Moreover, the coal industry — which once employed the majority of the region’s workforce — has sharply declined due to automation and the increased use of other fuels. Designated by the Appalachian Regional Commission as a distressed county, Carter County currently has an unemployment rate well above the national average and a low median household income.
The lack of employment opportunities has resulted in widespread poverty, along with associated socioeconomic issues such as drug abuse, obesity and domestic issues. In an area constantly menaced by poverty and its devastating effects, Heritage Elementary School serves as a beacon of hope for its students, giving them the opportunity to rise above the difficult circumstances from which they come, breaking the cycle of poverty.
Quick Facts about carter county:
- Population: 27,144 (2017)
- Median household income: $35,095 (2017)
- Percentage of persons living below the poverty line: 5% (2017)
- Unemployment rate: 3% (2018)