facts about Emmalena Elementary School:
- Grades served: Head Start – eighth grade
- Average enrollment: 310 students
- Facility description: The school includes 18 classrooms, a combined cafeteria and gym, a library, a preschool room, a Head Start room, a nurse’s room, a computer lab, a playground and other educational rooms, some of which are in outdoor trailers.
- Percentage of students enrolled on the Federal Free or Reduced-Price Meal program: 74%
- School curriculum: Based on the KY Program of Studies and the KY Core Content. To view the school’s state report card visit www.knott.k12.ky.us.
- FRYSC: Our sponsorship program at Emmalena Elementary School operates through the Family Resource Youth Services Center. “Working to strengthen families,” the FRYSC is an integral part of the school’s outreach to both its students and their families.
- Academic schedule: The school year typically begins the first week of August and ends the second week of May. Normal holidays are observed.
- Meals: Breakfast and lunch are provided every school day.
- School activities: Cheerleading, basketball, football, volleyball, softball, STLP Club, Beta Club, Speech Club, Academic Team
- Medical care: A full-time nurse is on staff to monitor the health needs of each student.
Emmalena Elementary School is located in Knott County, in the heart of eastern Kentucky’s rugged wilderness. The valley town of Emmalena lies nestled along the winding Troublesome Creek, surrounded by the Appalachian Mountains. The Appalachians have sheltered the people of this community from the world around them, perpetuating a way of life that has existed for generations. Despite its beauty and proud history, this region suffers economic troubles that result in widespread poverty and deprivation for many families. Industries such as coal mining and lumber — once employment mainstays in Knott County — have dramatically declined, resulting in an increase in unemployment. Furthermore, due to this region’s remoteness, inaccessibility and small population, new job development is practically nonexistent.
Within the pockets of impoverished areas scattered throughout the hollows of Knott County, many complex social barriers limit the educational opportunities for the children living here. However, Emmalena Elementary School — which offers a well-rounded and stimulating education — serves as a beacon of hope for the deserving young school children who call this part of Kentucky home.
Facts about knott county:
- Population: 15,291
- Median household income: $30,503
- Percentage of persons living below the poverty line: 34.6%
- Unemployment rate: 6.4%