facts about Cordia Combined School:
- Grades served: Preschool – twelfth grade
- Average enrollment: 225 students
- Facility description: The school building houses classrooms, a music room, a gym, an auditorium, workshops, a music/band room, outbuilding for classes and several playgrounds.
- School curriculum: Based on the KY Program of Studies and the KY Core Content. To view the school’s state report card visit www.knott.k12.ky.us.
- FRYSC: Our sponsorship program at Cordia Combined School operates through the Family Resource Youth Services Center. “Working to strengthen families,” the FRYSC is an integral part of the school’s outreach to both its students and their families.
- Academic schedule: The school year begins the first week of August and ends the second week of May. Normal holidays are observed.
- Meals: Breakfast and lunch are provided every school day. Seventy-five percent of the students are enrolled on the Federal Free or Reduced-Price Meal program.
- School activities: Boys’ and girls’ basketball, softball, baseball, track, cross country, and volleyball, FBLA, STLP, National Honor Society
- Medical care: A full-time nurse is on staff to monitor the health needs of each student.
Cordia Combined School is located in Knott County, in the heart of eastern Kentucky’s rugged wilderness. Despite its beauty and proud history, this region suffers economic hardships resulting in widespread poverty and deprivation for many families. Industries such as coal mining and lumber — once employment mainstays in Knott County — have dramatically declined, resulting in an increase of unemployment. Furthermore, due to the region’s remoteness, inaccessibility and small population, new job development is virtually nonexistent.
Within the pockets of impoverished areas scattered throughout the hollows of Knott County, many complex social barriers limit the educational opportunities for its children. However, Cordia Combined School serves as a beacon of hope for the deserving school children who call this part of Kentucky home. It is one of the few places in this economically troubled region where hope exists because of a well-rounded and stimulating education.
Facts about knott county:
- Population: 15,291
- Median household income: $30,503
- Percentage of persons living below the poverty line: 34.6%
- Unemployment rate: 6.4%
READ MORE STORIES FROM OUR PROJECTS IN kentucky:
The Hardworking Families of Eastern Kentucky
Long Days and Nights for Parents in Kentucky
High Enrollment and High Hopes in Kentucky