Quick facts about Boyd County Middle School:
- Grades served: Sixth – eighth
- Average enrollment: 725 students
- School facilities: The school building comprises a music room, an art room, home economics and science labs, an auditorium, a very large gymnasium and a cafeteria.
- Meals: Breakfast and lunch are served every day.
- Percentage of students on the Federal Free or Reduced Price Meal Program: 50%
- School Curriculum: Based on the KY Program of Studies and the KY Core Content. To view the school’s state report card visit www.k12.ky.us.
- Academic Schedule: The school year begins the first week of August and ends the second week of May. Normal holidays are observed.
- Sports and activities: Band, drama, Academic Team, sign language choir, KYA, pep organization, STLP, Jr. Beta Club, football, track and field, swimming, golf, cross country, cheerleading, boys and girls basketball and boys’ and girls’ soccer.
- Resource Center: The school offers students’ families the services of a Family Resource Center including health and social services, mental health and family crisis counseling, drug and alcohol abuse counseling, job counseling and summer job development.
Boyd County Middle School is located in the isolated and rural town of Cannonsburg, Kentucky. Like many of Kentucky’s Eastern Coal Field communities, Cannonsburg has suffered greatly with the decline of the coal mining industry. At the height of the coal operations, Boyd County was an important and active port city for the transport of coal along the Ohio River.
Today, many of its residents live in dismal poverty. Illiteracy and high dropout rates are significant problems in this area. Boyd County Middle School serves as a beacon of hope for this rural community. Its caring teachers and staff work hard to motivate and educate their students so that they can graduate and become successful members of their society.
Quick Facts about boyd county:
- Population: 47,979 (2017)
- Median household income: $45,543 (2017)
- Percentage of persons living below the poverty line: 19.3% (2017)
- Unemployment rate: 5.3% (2018)