facts about Catlettsburg Elementary School:
- Grades served: Pre-kindergarten – fifth
- Average enrollment: 300 students
- School facilities: The campus is made up of two buildings. The first building houses the upper grades’ classrooms, an old and windowless gymnasium, a cafeteria and a daycare center. The second building houses the lower grades’ classrooms.
- Meals: Breakfast and lunch are served daily. There is a federal Summer Feeding Program that provides breakfast and lunch for any child under the age of 18 during summer vacation.
- Percentage of students on the Federal Free or Reduced Price Meal Program: 50%
- School curriculum: Based on the KY Program of Studies and the KY Core Content. To view the school’s state report card visit boyd.k12.ky. Catlettsburg Elementary was named a Blue Ribbon School of Excellence.
- Academic schedule: The school year normally begins the first week of August and ends the second week of May. Normal holidays are observed.
- Sports and activities: Booster’s basketball and cheerleading, academic team, jump rope team, choir, track, Student Technology Leadership Program (STLP), Girl Scouts and Optimist girls’ basketball.
- Teachers: Eighteen homeroom teachers, teachers’ aides, and teachers for reading, speech, music and art
- Special education: One full-time special education instructor and a speech and language therapist
Catlettsburg Elementary School is located in Boyd County, Kentucky. For years, Catlettsburg was known as “The Gate City” because barges were loaded with coal on its docks to be shipped down the Ohio River to other ports. The decline of the coal industry in Kentucky and West Virginia has severely diminished the city’s commercial importance, and commerce in general is now minimal.
This area suffers from high rates of both poverty and illiteracy since a significant number of adults have never completed high school. These social and economic problems negatively affect even the youngest members of Catlettsburg, which is why Catlettsburg Elementary School serves as such a bright and welcoming place to learn. It is a beacon of hope offering students the opportunity to rise above the difficult circumstances from which they come and to break the chain of poverty.
Facts about Boyd county:
- Population: 47,979
- Median household income: $45,543
- Percentage of persons living below the poverty line: 19.3%
- Unemployment rate: 5.3%