Quick facts about Carr Creek Elementary School:
- Grades served: Preschool – eighth grade
- Average enrollment: 350 students
- Facility description: A brick building built in 1972 includes a combined gym and cafeteria, a library, a media center, 20 classrooms and space for the afterschool and early childhood development programs.
- School curriculum: Based on the KY Program of Studies and the KY Core Content. To view the school’s state report card visit www.knott.k12.ky.us.
- FRYSC: Our sponsorship program at Carr Creek Elementary School operates through the Family Resource Youth Services Center. “Working to strengthen families,” the FRYSC is an integral part of the school’s outreach to both its students and their families.
- Academic schedule: The school year typically begins the first week of August and ends the second week of May. Normal holidays are observed.
- Meals: Breakfast and lunch are provided every school day. Eighty-one percent of the students at Carr Creek are enrolled on the federal free or reduced price meal program.
- School activities: Basketball, football, cheerleading, speech and academic team.
- Medical care: A county health nurse who is onsite each day closely monitors students’ health.
Part of the Knott County school system, Carr Creek Elementary School is located in the southeastern mountains of Kentucky. This region of Kentucky, which features majestic mountains and quiet river valleys, has been home to generations of hardworking coal miners and close-knit families. With the collapse of the coal industry, this region’s poverty and unemployment rates have skyrocketed. For many young boys and girls of this community — who often go without meals on the weekends or shiver in the cold at night during the harsh Appalachian winters — Carr Creek Elementary School serves as a beacon of hope amidst rampant poverty.
Working to overcome the common socioeconomic problems that plague Knott County (such as adult illiteracy, school absenteeism, child obesity and substance abuse), the staff and faculty at Carr Creek Elementary and the attached Family Resource Youth Services Center (FRYSC) provide educational support for both students and their parents. The combination of a well-rounded academic program and supportive teachers gives these young minds the opportunity for a brighter future.
Quick Facts about knott county:
- Population: 15,291 (2017 est.)
- Median household income: $30,503 (2017 est.)
- Percentage of persons living below the poverty line: 34.6% (2017 est.)
- Unemployment rate: 6.4% (2018 est.)