facts about Cannonsburg Elementary School:
- Grades served: Head Start, Kindergarten – fifth
- Average enrollment: 300 students
- School facilities: The building houses sixteen classrooms, with additional rooms for Head Start, Special Education, art and music. There is also a library, gymnasium, cafeteria and a speech pathology room. All classrooms are computer-equipped.
- Meals: Breakfast and lunch are served every day.
- Percentage of students on the Federal Free or Reduced Price Meal Program: 51%
- School Curriculum: Based on the KY Program of Studies and the KY Core Content. To view the school’s state report card visit www.k12.ky.us.
- Academic Schedule: The school year typically begins the first week of August and ends the second week of May. Normal holidays are observed.
- Sports and activities: Basketball, football, track, academic team, cheerleading, Safety Patrol, Boy and Girl Scouts, Cool Camp and Student Technology Leadership Club. There is also a tutoring partnership with Cannonsburg High School.
- Resource Center: The school offers students’ families the services of a Family Resource Center.
Cannonsburg Elementary is located in the isolated and rural town of Cannonsburg, Kentucky. Like many of Kentucky’s Eastern Coal Field communities, Cannonsburg has suffered greatly with the decline of the coal mining industry. At the height of the coal operations, Boyd County included an important and active port for the transport of coal along the Ohio River.
Today, many of its residents live in abject poverty. Illiteracy and high dropout rates are significant problems in the area. Cannonsburg Elementary School serves as a beacon of hope for the community, providing a beautiful and bright learning space for children and offering them the opportunity to break the cycle of poverty and rise above the difficult circumstances from which they come.
Facts about boyd county:
- Population: 47,979
- Median household income: $45,543
- Percentage of persons living below the poverty line: 19.3%
- Unemployment rate: 5.3%