facts about Boyd County High School:
- Grades served: Ninth – twelfth
- Average enrollment: 965 students
- School facilities: The school comprises a music room, an art room, a home economics lab, science labs, an auditorium and a gym. A vocational campus where students may take classes such as welding and nursing is across the street from the main building.
- Percentage of students on the Federal Free or Reduced Price Meal Program: 38%
- School curriculum: Based on the KY Program of Studies and the KY Core Content. For more info: www.boyd.k12.ky.us. The school also offers Advanced Placement courses and 14 career and technical education majors.
- Meals: Breakfast and lunch are served daily.
- Academic schedule: The school year typically begins the first week of August and ends the second week of May. Normal holidays are observed.
- Sports and activities: Twenty sports are offered including basketball, football, baseball, golf, track, cheerleading and swimming. The school also offers a wide variety of clubs, including the Beta Club, Chess Club, Drama Club, 4-H Club, Environmental Science Club, Biology Club, Future Business Leaders of America and Future Farmers of America.
- Counseling: A trained social worker counsels at-risk students and those dealing with drug or alcohol abuse.
- Special education: Individualized special-education programs are designed for each student and focus on inclusion. There is also an Extended School program for students in need of tutoring.
Boyd County High School is located in the isolated rural town of Cannonsburg, Kentucky. Like many of Kentucky’s Eastern Coal Field communities, Cannonsburg has suffered greatly from the decline of the coal mining industry. At the height of the coal operations, Boyd County was an important and active port city for the transport of coal along the Ohio River. Today, many of its residents live in dismal poverty.
Illiteracy and high dropout rates are significant problems in the area. Boyd County High School serves as a beacon of hope for this rural community. Its caring teachers and staff work hard to motivate and educate their students so that they can graduate and become successful members of their society.
Facts about Boyd county:
- Population: 47,979
- Median household income: $45,543
- Percentage of persons living below the poverty line: 19.3%
- Unemployment rate: 5.3%