Quick facts about beaver creek Elementary School:
- Grades served: Kindergarten – eighth grade
- Average enrollment: 300 students
- School facilities: Built in 1964, the school building includes 15 regular classrooms, a cafeteria (which also serves as the gymnasium), a band room, two outbuildings and two playgrounds.
- Special education: Three special education teachers, a reading, math and speech teacher provides support for students with special education needs.
- Percentage of students on the Federal Free or Reduced Price Meal Program: 50%
- School curriculum: Based on the KY Program of Studies and the KY Core Content. To view the school’s state report card, visit www.knott.k12.ky.us.
- Academic schedule: The school year typically begins the first week of August and ends the second week of May. Normal holidays are observed.
- Meals: Breakfast and lunch are provided every school day. Eighty percent of the students at Beaver Creek are enrolled on the Federal Free or Reduced-Price Meal program.
- Medical care: Students’ health is closely monitored. A county health nurse is on site each day.
- School activities: Basketball (boys and girls), football, volleyball, Academic Team, Beta Club and Drama Club
Part of the Knott County school system, Beaver Creek Elementary School is located in the southeastern mountains of Kentucky. This region of Kentucky, with its majestic mountains and quiet river valleys, has been home to generations of hardworking coal miners and close-knit families. With the collapse of the coal industry (due to automation, cheaper foreign markets and a decline in demand), this region’s poverty and unemployment rates have skyrocketed. For many young boys and girls of this community — who often go without meals on the weekends or shiver in the cold at night during the harsh Appalachian winters — Beaver Creek Elementary School serves as a beacon of hope amidst rampant poverty.
Working to overcome the common socioeconomic problems that plague Knott County (such as adult illiteracy, school absenteeism, child obesity and substance abuse), the staff and faculty at Beaver Creek Elementary provide educational support for both students and their parents. The combination of a well-rounded academic program and supportive teachers gives these young minds the opportunity for a brighter future.
Quick Facts about knott county:
- Population: 15,291 (2017 est.)
- Median household income: $30,503 (2017 est.)
- Percentage of persons living below the poverty line: 34.6% (2017 est.)
- Unemployment rate: 6.4% (2018 est.)